Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand what changeing the secondary spring does ,But what does changeing the primary do. I have a gold one on the way with my almond secondary and im not sure if i will put it on. I was told at EPI this was the best aplication for trail and mud on my bike.:thinking::thinking:

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Changing the primary creates stall. In other words it allows your engine to rev a little higher before it catches. If you aren't used to having stall you probably won't like it.

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
agreed...... Stall is really unnecissary except on race bikes, IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Stall is not all the primary controls but it is a big part of it. The first number in the three primary spring numbers is the stall( force it takes to over come the spring tension and start compressing it) So the higher the first number the higher the stall.

The last number is full shift out. This is the force it takes to fully compress the spring.

Think of it just like you would the secondary numbers. The higher the number the lower the gearing it will cause at any given RPM since the takes more force (RPM) to compress the spring.

Some springs may have a high stall with a low shift out while others may be right opposite with a low stall and high shift out. The trick is to find that happy medium that keeps your bike in its power range for the longest time.

Its also worth mentioning that different weights affect how the primary springs react as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
thanks metal that helped me out

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
i have a pink one that i will sale for 18 plus shipping cost practically new has 25 miles on it i need something with more shiftout or stall for what i want to do just havent tested enough to find the right spring that lets my motor do its job. Id like to maybe try out the gold if you want to do a straight trade.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I'm runnin an almond primary which to me is about 1200-1400 rpm over stock engagement(i have stage 3 work with lighter weights). I like it but I've run stalls in the past on my race bike (this is my trail bike i'm runnin it on). The gold has an even higher engagement and to me would be too much on a trail bike. I dont recommend anything over an almond for trail riding because the belt is getting a lot of abuse engaging/disengaging everytime you let off the throttle. If u can keep an consistent throttle speed - u'll be ok but it takes some getting used to. Just throw it in there and see how it works out for u. If you dont like it u may want to step down to an almond or even a maroon. THe pink is not going to be a noticable difference over a stock primary only about 100 rpm over. The maroon is more around 500 over and the almond with stock weights/sheaves is going to be about 1k over stock.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:thinking::thinking:I think Ill stay stock for my primary. I just put my almond spring in the secondary.:thinking::thinking:

·
Registered
127 Posts
what is the closest to stock primary you can get...what color?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
The EPI Pink is close to stock BF 750I/650I primary spring but it is a little stiffer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thinks. oh yea Metal Man, I am coming back as Team Green!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Oh yeah!! :rockn:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts