Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Kajun Mud Slingers
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home from offshore today and started taking off the 6" Gorilla lift. I have run into some problems though. What is the best way to get the ball joints lose from the A-arms on the front. The stud just turns with the nut.

Also I am having a hard time getting the bolts out of the a-arms where it connects to the frame. I could not beat on it really good due to the fact that it was late at night. I will try again in the morning.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Sounds like you need to try to compress the ball joint into the a-arm to make the tapers lock together and keep it from spinning.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
question - i always wonder at what point you need longer brake lines..
did you have to have longer lines with the 6" ?

the manual shows a type of joint remover tool. I guess it puts the pressure on it so u can turn it like IBBruin says. it's like a clamp that u tighetn with a bolt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If they are in the a-arms like they should be, then it will hold the nut/stud enough to turn it off. Take and soak it down with some pb blaster and let it sit a couple minutes. Then try again.. Same on removing the a arms from the frame, which i have never seen them being hard to get off. Did you disconnect the shock I am assuming? Good luck man.

And on the other hand, why are you taking off the 6" Gorilla lift? You gonna sell it?

·
Team BS
757 Posts
GOOD LUCK, thats all i can tell you. and good luck putting the orginial stuff back on. all the frame tabs are gonna need a little adjusting to get it back on.

·
Kajun Mud Slingers
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it does have longer brake lines.

I will have to look it up in the service manual to find out what tool I need.

I have to take the lift off of my nephews bike. I called gorilla and go a new bushing set for the lift and will take it over to my buddies shop and clean up the parts for the lift and probably get them powder coated. Then i will decide what i want to do with it. Install on my bike or sell it.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
Bayou Boy the new bushing set is going to save you alot of headache you may go ahead and order all new hardware also I think it was only like 25 bucks. As far as the bolts through the A-arms I'm sure it's been without grease for a while and it is just a B**ch to get them old bolts to give once that polyurethane bushing has been dried out a while. I think Bump had to cut some of the hardware when he disassembled ours because of the same problem. On the ball joints I was able to stick a bottle jack in between the a-arms and press them joints loose. When and if you do reinstall put a good grease like Lucas red n' tacky on every bolt that goes through a poly bushing and use lots of never seize even on your axle splines it will prevent some of this later. And like Bump said up there some things may need some massaging 'with a big FN HAMMER' to fit. Just one of the deals with this lift and part of the reason it is supposed to be being redesigned now. But with all that I do like mine now that it is on!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If I'm reading his OP correctly, the ball joint stud is turning inside his a-arm when he tries to take the nut off.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
10-4, IBBruin I musta just buzzed through there kinda fast, Does sound like he needs to drive it in like you said. I had the opposite problem the upper an lower nuts come off easy ball joint would'nt give for S***.

·
Kajun Mud Slingers
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well got the ball joints and the rear apart. just have the long bolt on the front upper a-arm that dont want to move

·
Kajun Mud Slingers
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the back done and tires mounted with stock equipment. took me all day to get it done. there was no grease or neverseeze on anything. was a pain to get off. the front upper a-arm bolt is still stuck i have to go and get some new blades for the saws all and new bolts to mount the stockers back on but that is the only way. I am hoping to have his bike back to stock and ridding tomorrow.

I am going to take the 6" lift and get it basted and powder coated before i put in on my bike. have to order some new hardware for mounting. havent decided if i want to get it powder coated black or some other color. the paint that is on it is chipping off.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
Glad to hear your making progress, jobs like that can get real frustrating it's all bolt up and should be real easy but can be one thing after another.

·
Kajun Mud Slingers
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i am now finished. Took me two full days. I will get pics when i can. I took off the 6 inch lift and installed all the stock stuff. now it has the hl springs with 2 inch lift with 31 laws.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
Has Ryan got to ride his bike yet now that your done?

You decided whether you gonna put the lift on yours or not?

·
Kajun Mud Slingers
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I still have to fill the front diff with oil and finish ty rapping the brake lines in. he has to change out the floor board with the stock ones as the tires hit the custom ones.

This thing has 1.5 spacers all the way around with 31x9.5's. Are yall running spacers with yall 31's?

I have alot of work to do to the lift before i put it on my bike. I will probably have it on my bike for the MIMB ride at Rocks Bottom. I should have my 30 zilla's on and ready for the pit. I have to change out all the bushing on the lift and change out he joints on the tie rods. Is there anyway that i could run straight tie rods with the 6 inch lift. I found that it had alot of slack in the steering due to the z-rods. This could have mostly been from all the bushings in the lift needing to be changed.

·
Kajun Mud Slingers
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pics in the dark. We are going to to get more soon. The atv jack that is under his bike is not touching the bike.

Attachments

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
Lookin good!

The steering is kinda sloppy due to those Z-links but I think a straight tie rod would hit your 4x4 actuator with the angle of the 6". Mine wiggle front to back (in the heim joints) but are tight side to side (on the adjustment) if that makes sense...

Bayou did ya'll find Ryan's bike on craigslist houston? I think I remember seeing it or one like it.

·
Kajun Mud Slingers
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well i guess i will have to try to figure something out.

I got the bike from a guy that i worked offshore with. He used to go to mud nat every year. He went this year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts