Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 brute 750 started humming last ride and it appears oil is leaking from both rear axle seals and the seal on the front of the rear diff. I just changed the diff oil last week. Any help would be great. Is my diff shot? Worth replacing all 3 seals or will they blow a leak again?

·
7,388 Posts
The seals don't just go for no reason. They either got very hot or the bearings all started getting loose for some reason...and the fact that it was humming says something went terribly wrong. It will have to come out and pulled down before you know the extent of the damage. What oil did you put back in it after this change?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seals don't just go for no reason. They either got very hot or the bearings all started getting loose for some reason...and the fact that it was humming says something went terribly wrong. It will have to come out and pulled down before you know the extent of the damage. What oil did you put back in it after this change?
Thanks for the reply. I put the gear &wet brake oil. I just changed it out a couple days ago. I also removed the driveshaft and replaced the oil seal on both sides of crankcase and back of front diff. Could that have somethimg to do with it?

·
7,388 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I put the gear &wet brake oil. I just changed it out a couple days ago. I also removed the driveshaft and replaced the oil seal on both sides of crankcase and back of front diff. Could that have somethimg to do with it?
Well...the #1 reason is overheating...and in many of the Kawasaki's of that time period was that the pinion bearing retainer nut came loose and allowed the pinion to move back and forth. This allowed the wet brake friction disks to drag real bad...like riding the brake hard all the time. That makes a lot of heat...so much so that it burns the oil and roasts the seals...and it makes a terrible noise. Do this: Take the drive line out. Then jack the back end up so both tires are off the floor. Then sit next to the right side tire and affix your eyes on the pinion shaft coming out of the gear case. Now.. while watching it.. bump the tire back and forth and look for that pinion shaft to move in and out. Try in several positions. If you see any at all..she's loose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...the #1 reason is overheating...and in many of the Kawasaki's of that time period was that the pinion bearing retainer nut came loose and allowed the pinion to move back and forth. This allowed the wet brake friction disks to drag real bad...like riding the brake hard all the time. That makes a lot of heat...so much so that it burns the oil and roasts the seals...and it makes a terrible noise. Do this: Take the drive line out. Then jack the back end up so both tires are off the floor. Then sit next to the right side tire and affix your eyes on the pinion shaft coming out of the gear case. Now.. while watching it.. bump the tire back and forth and look for that pinion shaft to move in and out. Try in several positions. If you see any at all..she's loose.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm new to this, boats are my thing. What do you mean by Driveline? What am I looking to see to show me she's loose?

·
7,388 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm new to this, boats are my thing. What do you mean by Driveline? What am I looking to see to show me she's loose?
Drive line or Drive shaft..same thing. The pinion shaft is what the drive shaft slides over on the rear diff...(actually its not a diff, it's a gear case).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drive line or Drive shaft..same thing. The pinion shaft is what the drive shaft slides over on the rear diff...(actually its not a diff, it's a gear case).
Ah ok , makes sense. When I removed the drive shaft to replace the oil seal I could not get the pinion shaft to come out. That seal seemed to be fine though but the pinion shaft did have some play to it. Is that normal?

·
7,388 Posts
Ah ok , makes sense. When I removed the drive shaft to replace the oil seal I could not get the pinion shaft to come out. That seal seemed to be fine though but the pinion shaft did have some play to it. Is that normal?
Play...as in in and out? No, that's what I've been directing you to check. It should also not have any noticeable play in any other direction if it's contacting the ring gear correctly.

By "In and Out" I mean like this..even 1/4 of this means that retainer had cone loose:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Play...as in in and out? No, that's what I've been directing you to check. It should also not have any noticeable play in any other direction if it's contacting the ring gear correctly.

By "In and Out" I mean like this..even 1/4 of this means that retainer had cone loose:

Yes it definitely does that. So I need remove gear case and open it up. Should be fun! Thanks a lot for your help bud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts