• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Administrator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO. I talked to a company today, about making a replacement seal for us, since kawi wont step up and make something that dont leak like a shot up duck boat. The guy I talked to seems to think it wont be a problem, and said they have several similar seals that sell for around $17. SO Depending on what design we come up with, they could be as cheap as $15-$20 and you wont be having to replace them all the time. Would basically be the same thing only better material. However, if the design I want them to make will actually work, they might end up costing a little more, but again, it would be a product that would be 100x better than the crap that is in there.... I have an apointment to talk to the Head Engineer tomorrow about which design would be better... I will update this thread accordingly.....

:rockn:

So vote, would you buy a better seal and pay a little more for it, if you knew you most likely wont have to replace it but once every few years...?

·
Team BS
757 Posts
heck yes....ill pay a lil more to have a better seal.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would pay more for better seals, but could it be possble to get those up to canada for us cold blooded type?

·
Administrator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would pay more for better seals, but could it be possble to get those up to canada for us cold blooded type?
yeah shipping might just be a little more... They are actually closer to you than me ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
That would e great!! The way I see it if I break or blow something I like to replace it with a better part.

Will have to get details as this unfolds

·
Team BS
396 Posts
I'd be interested to see how well it works, I've noticed wear on the shaft itself and I don't know if a different seal is going to fix the problem. But please get them to make me some different differential seals.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Im wit ya

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
I'd be interested to see how well it works, I've noticed wear on the shaft itself and I don't know if a different seal is going to fix the problem. But please get them to make me some different differential seals.
this was my concern. the shaft being the problem.
Ive not changed mine yet so I havent seen them. I'm hoping most of the leaks are on the outside of the seal and not the inside.

·
Team BS
757 Posts
alot of the wear is on the shaft. we have an idea for a solution, we just havent had it done yet. our idea, along wit a better seal. it should last a while

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Is it a single lip seal with only one lip facing the oil or is it a double lip seal with one lip facing in and one lip facing out?

·
Administrator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it a single lip seal with only one lip facing the oil or is it a double lip seal with one lip facing in and one lip facing out?
the stock? its just 1 - 8mm wide lip

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I voted yes!! Anything better then what we have now would be a welcome change.

I don't know were the problem comes from but i know it's real. My old AC 400 has over 3000 miles on it and the rear seal just started leaking.Actually a better word would be seeping.It's yet to leak any on the skid plate below it. The front seal is still good.

My Brutes rear seal was leaking at the 100 mile mark.:rant:

·
Lets Get It
338 Posts
Im for it, I just changed mine again last weekend, I think it was the 5th time!!!

·
Administrator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OOOK.... I talked to the engineer today. WOW.. Where to start.

So we talked about what all could be affecting the seal and actually making it leak is it
  • The sand/grit that eats at it,
  • Is it just cheap material that doesnt hold up,
  • Is the problem not actually all the seal, but the amount of pressure that builds up in the bottom of the motor from the oil heating and expanding, enough to push it past the edge of the seal?
If the last one is the case, then there are other ways to solve the problem like simply running a better oil. I know that running Royal Purple in mine, my seals don't leak near as bad as I've heard some of you say... I've heard guys say they have full out oil puddles on the floor at times... While mine does leak, it doesn't leak to the extent that I have to add oil or clean my floor after it sits a week or 2.

He said that he would be more than happy to take a look at the seal and the shaft and see what he can come up with, but if the problem is not the seal, but the pressure, than even a GOOD seal could still possibly leak a little bit, b/c of the pressure buildling up behind the seal. So here's what we have to do, we need to get to the bottom of the problem and find out exactly what is causing the leaks, cheap material, or something more than that....

·
Team BS
396 Posts
If a better seal can keep the grit from getting b/n it and the shaft then we may not have a problem with wear on the shaft. Too bad that means most of us would need new shafts.

·
Administrator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the main problem is grit getting between the shaft and the seal and the grit eating away at the seal, creating the leak?

One of their designs uses dual rubber seals inside the metal housing, that will flex w/ the movement of the shaft and not separate to let oil out, or grit in. Problem is there needs to be lubricant between the seals in our application which would mean having to put some good quality grease between them before installing, but I dont think that would be a problem... The outside has rubber o-rings. This is the seal they use on the inside of axles, I'm thinking that something similar to this could work.

Attachments

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Not sure, just an idea

I just checked bikebandit and that shaft is $175 plus you would probably want to replace the bearing when you did it

·
Registered
450 Posts
So the main problem is grit getting between the shaft and the seal and the grit eating away at the seal, creating the leak?
I don't think that's the main problem because mine leaked with less than 200 miles and it really hadn't been ridden hard or in any mud at that time.

·
Team BS
396 Posts
We had an idea of grinding a groove around the shaft where the seal rides and then having welded up with stainless rod and cut back down to original diameter. This should give the seal a better surface to ride on. Add a better seal and you should have no problem. Of course this is a lot of work (time). Sure would be nice if we could just go to a better seal and maybe we can.

·
Team BS
757 Posts
the problem IMO is either the seal is eating at the shaft, or grit is gettin into the seal and eating at the shaft. either way, the shaft is getting worn down. i have hurd of someone cleanin the seal really good after each ride and not having a problem anymore.

1 - 20 of 290 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.