Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
112 Posts
#1 Drain the engine oil.
#2 Collapse the rear driveshaft towards the rear end by grapsing the forward u joint and pulling backwards.
#3 Use seal puller or needle nose plyers and flat head screw driver to work the seal out. Be care full not to scar the metal surface on the shaft
#4 Clean area where seal was and shaft coming from the motor
#5 Use some motor oil to lube the inside hole of the seal
#6 Install seal flush with the motor ( should be a tight fit)

Get good at this, as you will repeat this process many times over the life of your brute.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
perfect synopsis of the procedure.
with practice you can do this in 10 mins tops!

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
112 Posts
Last time I actually tried it with my eyes closed.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
haha then you are a master.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
112 Posts
No the screw driver is the master! It was sharp and I would not advise using sharp tools with your eyes closed!

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
I have only mastered one tool with my eyes closed.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
:haha:Ok now this aint the SMO section :haha:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you work it out from the center between the seal and the shaft? I still haven't got my seal yet dealer had to order, should be here tuesday or wednesday.
Are the tools modified in any way (seal puller or needle nose plyers and flat head screw)
How is each tool used to remove the seal? (I don't want to mess any thing up)

Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
tell me about it....
i been WAITING for ronAyers to ship mine...its been in the "order fulfillment" stage for a week now!
i just want to ride my quad!!!
and make sure its flush!!!!!
i made the mistake of tapping it in all the way...

you will destroy the old one..no way around it..

and if the drive shaft doesnt want to come out...just keep working it, i had to use PB blaster and spray the spring inside to get it to collapse all the way and take it out.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
112 Posts
If you have a seal puller, it should look like an icepick with a curve on the end. But I just use a small flat head screw driver and workit around the outer edges ( stick it in between the seal and the outer edge. Then just kinda pry back until the seal starts to slide out. Keep working around the outside edges until you can grab it with some plyers and pull it out. You will most likely destroy the old one. No modified tools though.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
do u realy have to drain the oil?

·
Registered
762 Posts
^
yes,
it'll be a mess if you dont.
oil EVERYWHERE.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
hmm...... thinkin bout waitin then lol

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guys
Is it normal to be able to push the rear seal in with your hands, It was a hard push but got it in flush by hand.

·
Registered
762 Posts
i lightly tapped mine flush with a hammer untill the hammer bottomed out on the metal...

LEAK FREE NOW!

i followed someone else's advice and used a self tapping screw (short one) and pulled it out with vise grips...worked great!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got mine out fine but when I went to put it in i started it in the hole and for fun before I got the hammer out I pushed it in as far as I could by hand which was all the way flush (It was a pretty good push), so are you saying yours went in easy when you tapped it in lightly.

·
Registered
762 Posts
yeah, it didnt take much force at all.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good I thought I might of gotten a bad seal or something, Thanks for the help.

Chris

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
if u lift the rear of the brute up. u dont have to drain the oil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts