Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe i have sheared the teeth on the starter today. I finally got it back together and noticed there was a clanking when i tried to crank and then when i went to move it back into the shop in clanked 1 or 2 times then wouldnt turn the motor over but you can hear the starter turning and it would try to crank with pull rope until i broke the rope. This happened within the first couple of starts with the new dyna on there, anyone heard of dyna causing this problem? :feedback:

oh yeah anyone have a flywheel puller that i can borrow?

i was so ready to go ride and then this crap happens:banghead: and now its gonna be down for probably 2 weeks cause of this. Wont be able to tear it down until Friday evening because im 2 hours away and have 3 test this week (Tues,wed, and Friday)then have to order parts and wait on them.
:aargh4::flames::cussing:

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
mine has done the same thing - sheared 4 of the teeth off. This happens due to kick backs... If you try to start the unit and it acts like its going to crank and you release the start button too soon and it makes that zing(dont know how to say it other than that) sound - thats a kick back. Its more common on built machines but stocks will do it as well. I actually didnt replace mine because we were headed for a ride and I didnt have the time due to work so I took it up to my buddy's shop and he got it ready for me so we could still leave on time.
Thats been nearly a year ago. Havent had any problems since - i just always make sure i'm on the gas just a lil until it warms up.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine is definitely more that 4 teeth i wont grab at all and made a terrible sound i wouldnt be surprised if all the teeth was missing.

basically your saying make sure its started before letting off the start button. I just dont want to have this happen again when i fix this because of the dyna i had no trouble out of the stock one

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
ouch bro. i guess you'll know when you get the starter off.
might be stuck solenoid so its spinning but not engaging. to check, try tapping it with a hammer then starting.
likely not with noises you saying it makes but you never know.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
mine is definitely more that 4 teeth i wont grab at all and made a terrible sound i wouldnt be surprised if all the teeth was missing.

basically your saying make sure its started before letting off the start button. I just dont want to have this happen again when i fix this because of the dyna i had no trouble out of the stock one
Yeah with 4 teeth broke on mine - it wouldnt do anything either. Made a loud grinding noise then that was it. WOuldnt even attempt to start after that.

Right - make sure its running before you let off.

·
Team BS
757 Posts
this happened to HeadC1's bike also (at mudnats, we had to leave it abondened in a hole over night after the pull start broke for bout the 5th time.) we figured it was from the motor being hydrolocked wit either gas or water and hittin the starter button till it pushes the fuild out. just a thought, dunno if any of u that have this problem have done this or not.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wasnt hydrolocked at all just starting it to go ride like i normally would. Where can i get a flywheel puller from?

·
Team BS
396 Posts
I did it without the flywheel puller but would not recommend it. I used some other puller from out shop but I was a little un-easy about it. Its not hard to change though just make sure and get a new mechanical seal for your water pump. Once you take it off you need to go ahead and replace it and its only like $12.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts