Mud in My Blood Forum banner

sheared starter gear teeth

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  bayou_boy_22 
#1 · (Edited)
I would have done a how to but was more worried about making sure i didnt mess anything up. here is a link to where i got all my info and help from im sure someone else will need this sometime.

Changing of starter gear

#2 ·
Great info those guys are full of.
Thanks for posting this for the members ;)

#3 ·
1 suggestion. The mechanical seal behind the water pump impeller is easily damaged and I would suggest that you just buy a new one. I replaced my flywheel without replacing the mech. seal and as soon as I cranked it the seal went out. I believe you can fix this by just applying a little antifreeze to the seal for lubrication before you put the impeller back on. Otherwise you will be pulling the cover back off to replace the seal anyways. So you can try to lube the seal you have or go ahead with a new one ($12) and I lubed my new one when I put it in too.

#4 ·
yeah i've had to replace mine before as well... for all others to keep from this happening - hold the start button down and give it a lil gas before letting off. When you left of the too quick thats when the kickback occurs.

#6 ·
what did you use to pull the flywheel off with?

#7 ·
went to advanced auto and bought something like this puller and had to get some bolts from fastenal that were 200mm long that was the same pitch and thread as the allen headed bolts.

#8 ·
so you did not use a claw type puller,

I've got a claw puller and was just wondering if there was any special way of using this tool to make this pull...

#10 ·
very good write up considering this happened to my 08 already i sheared 7 teeth. luckily mine was under waranty so i didnt have to do the tearing into or spit money out. thank goodness

#12 ·
is that the price of it used. i can only come up with $70 on bikebandit.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.