Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ricochet Complete Skid Plate Replacement

Really no how to needed (very simple) but here we go!!

Lifted it with the winch. Locked rear brake and tied winch to racking (protected front bumper with some old plastic).

Before:

Remove all old skid plates.

Tools needed:

Need a 10mm, 8mm and for some reason a 12mm for the rearest most. Don't worry if you break them on the underside, your not using factory mounts but the rearest near hitch and front most under bumper.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Installation very basic. Follow the insstructions and you'll be fine.

At first I did not like the bracket set up for the new plates. I figured they would just use the factory mounts. IMO, would install better but not sure if the factory mounts woud be strong enough. Once they were installed, looks and sits fine. The were a bit difficult to deal with in some spots, but not too bad.

I used a breakable lock-tight on each bolt. The way the lock nuts were, I doubt you'll need it, but seems everything you add to a machine comes loose, so I figured it would not hurt.

Hint #1

Do not tighten anything until all plates are on (as the instructions state), you will have to adjust.

Hint #2

Instructions call for a 5mm allen key. Get 5mm sockey style. The lock nuts that are part of the brackets are very stiff and knuckle busters with the allen key. Lubricate the welded nuts on the brackets as the instructions state before installing. The edges are somewhat smooth but still can take some skin off if you slip.

After

Total install time with a 3 year old and 6 year old "helping" - 1.5 hrs

Total added weight 20 kg or 44 lbs.

Total damage. One skinned knuckle.

Minuses:

Allen key bolts. Hate them, always did, always will.

Pluses:

Easy to install.

Instructions were simple.

Tools needed:

5mm and 3mm allen key (suggest using socket style)

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say you have a slight tie rod problem....hahaha
Thanks for pointing that out now. :)

Yes and hint #3. Put your tie rod ends back on before you try and install the front cv guards.......that was very dumb idea.

·
Registered
127 Posts
48 lbs.!!! I wont be getting none I just got my bike down to 540lbs. it dont need no more weigh...

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna diet and make up the difference.:popcorn:

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
Looks real good and tough also!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts