Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished building my snorkell on my 08 brute 750 and was wondering for those who have done the same when you cover your intake should your bike not die out and stall......all my joints are sealed or is there something i might be missing???

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
does the airbox lid suck in A LOT?
it should die in about 3 seconds after you cap it..
DId you use PVC cement?
Did you use the 3" elbow? if so, check that area closely..

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
I finished doing mine last week and it dies almost instantly when you cup the air intake.

Make sure your rubber coupler connections are tight like PhreeBSD said. Let us know what you find.

·
SAY I WON'T!!!
997 Posts
Mine would ALMOST die until I siliconed up around the 3" rubber 90 around the airbox. Now she dies pretty quickly when I cover the intake snorkle. I still haven't siliconed up the breather box, and I may not now...

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i had to add silicone to the rubber 3" 90 on the airbox side.
when i plugged it i heard it sucking from there so i tracked it down and sealed her up

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Yep she should die and hold a suction to your hand. Check the areas mentioned above. You may also want to make sure you did not knock any of the vacuum lines lose that hook to the side of the air box. Make sure you plugged the drain hole in the bottom of the air box as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used all cement on the (abs to abs) but nothing on the rubber to plastic connections i'm gonna try to silicon the connections.......When capped it sucks really hard and the air box lid sucks in as well so there must be a little leak somewhere......I also didn't relocate my crankcase vent just left it in the stock location is that a problem does anyone know ??? Thanks for the feedback everyone

·
Administrator
15,425 Posts
^ Yeah those stock gaskets SUCK

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
I didn't see how the 3" elbow could properly seal on the airbox so I put on a straight 2" rubber coupler into a 45, the rest as per the MIMB directions. The 2" coupler slides on real easy if you boil some water and put it in for 30 seconds or so. Same goes for the 3" to 2" reducer, it also has a bit of memory after being boiled then stretched so it isn't so hard to take on and off when needed.

A buddy had his suck water through his airbox seal last weekend and he pulled the gasket, cleaned the groove and filled it with gasket eliminator. Rub vaseline on the lid and reinstall. Clean the vaseline off once it is set up. Works great.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
yeah. i just yanked my stock gasket out and fill the groove real full of rtv silicone. shove the lid back on. some will squirt out but that's not exactly a bad thing. lid is hard to get off once it's sealed but that bothers me not.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
i used the 3inch 90. i just filled the grove full of slicone where the 45 goes in.. n where it connects to the air box.. when u dont think its sealed just use more silcone lol

·
Administrator
15,425 Posts
You have to cut the flange off the 3" if you cut the flange off, then it fits right on the snout no problems.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
you guys ARE putting a NON "street fit" inside the 3" rubber 90 correct?

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
Yup, but the only rubber 3" 90's I could get anywhere around here don't step down in diameter like the plastic fittings do. They are full diameter around the bend. I was wondering why anyone would fill that big of a gap with silicone.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
oh! well yeah i could see why that would be questionable.
do you have a lowes in your area? that's where i purchased mine. i have also seen them at home depot.

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
I've never seen a Lowes before and am 2hr drive from the nearest city. Once I figured out that the 2" rubber coupler and 45 would clear (barely) I just went with that.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
2 hour drive? geez you got a heckuva drive to get some grub.
You must grow yer own out there.

:)

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
Half hour to the nearest small town and the hardware store would fit in your back pocket. Alberta has the same land area as Texas but 1/10 the population and 150,000 square miles of open public access government owned land to quad. It sounds great cause it is.

·
Registered
762 Posts
WOW!
lucky you!
a giant backyard!!
lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts