Mud in My Blood Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Motor vehicle Auto part Engine Fuel line Technology

I removed the upper plastics to expose the air intake on top of the breather box.

Auto part

After taking off the intake, I used it as a template to cut a plate out of 16 gauge metal. I drilled out the center with a 1" hole saw.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Yellow Automotive exterior Bumper

I went to the auto parts store and bought a 1.5" piece of tail pipe (the very end piece with the bevel on it) I cut this down with a chop saw, so that it would fit under the plastics. This took some time and patience. After getting that done, I fabbed up the rest of the snorkle with some 1.5" pvc fittings and some straight pieces. After making sure that it would fit and marking the fittings, I glued them all together.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Muffler

I took the plate and piece of tail pipe to a buddy of mine and had him weld it together. After that I grinded out the center of the plate to match the pipe for the air flow and slapped some black rust-oleum on it. Then I bolted it on to the breather box with some Right stuff gasket to seal it.

Vehicle Auto part Tire Exhaust system Car

I attached the intake and the pvc together with a 1.5" rubber boot. I used the U shaped piece of a 1.5" pee trap to make the top end of the snorkle and attached it with the same 1.5" rubber boot.

While I had the breather box out I extended the breather tube for the carb to the handle bars.

·
Administrator
15,563 Posts
great post, going to stick it in the can-am section

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had more pictures to go with it but it would only let me put in 5. I tried putting it in the Can Am section but it wouldnt let me, this was the only place it would let me post it.

·
Administrator
15,563 Posts
You can only attach 5 at a time in one post You can reply & attach more. Or load them in your gallery & just link to them all

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks like a pretty clean job. I'm sure you set it up right but make sure the handlebars dont hit the snorkels when turning. Mine did, thats why I had to put them forward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question... I have 05 400 outty that is stealth snorked. The cvt and airbox are sealed good and stay dry, but for some unknown reason I lose power when i get deep enough to submerge the carb. It will idle but when I try to gas on it chokes up and doesn't want to rev. but when I get out of the water it clears right up. I also have the vacuum lines run up to the behind the pod.
Any suggestions what it could be?

·
Administrator
15,563 Posts
One of your carb vent lines could have a small hole in it somewhere, or a boot could be loose or cracked, thats all it takes for a little water/steam to choke down a motor.

My brute was doing the same thing, checked the carb vents, one had a hole melted in it from where it drooped & touched a header.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got some black sealant from oreilly's. I will try and seal up the boots that connect the carb to box and engine, and I will check the lines again.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used the black sealant and sealed up what I thought was causing problems, I am still having loss of power while submerged but when I choke it seems to accelerate enough to crawl out the hole. Any electric connections you guys could think of that would be causing loss of power. the crazy thing is that it doesnt die in water it just acts like it not getting fuel when give a little throttle.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
The only connectors that have given me any issues in the water on my can am is the ones on the side of the transmission (gotta remove the plastic cover on the side of the motor near the dipstick that hides the tranny to see these).....my 11' renegade has the updated style with the little male prongs sticking off the tranny and my wires just snap onto them, I pulled them off and dielectric greased them and it stopped acting wierd. Those were the only thing I didn't grease when I snorked the bike lol... my bike would go into a "limp home" mode (or something along those lines, don't remember exactly what it said, but the check engine light would come on as well)
My 07' Outlander has the older style that screws on...probably same style as yours.

All this aside, are all your vent lines ran up for the carb? If they aren't I'd put money on it thats the prob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have all of my vent lines ran up to the pod, but I noticed that the choke cable might be the culprit. When submerged I lose power after a couple seconds under, but when I choke it, it will rev up some. I looked at the way the choke is designed, it closes off air passage to the diaphragm which makes me think water is maybe getting in through there and when choked it doesn't allow water.... with all that said, I some grease on the diaphragm cover o-ring and also put some grease over the choke cable. I will test again and see if that fixes the issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.