Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't get the steering knuckle off on the front left side of my brute. I'm trying to pull the axle to replace the seal in the front diff and replace an axle boot that is torn. I got the brake off, shock, tierod, disk, etc. but I can't get the upper and lower a-arms to slide off the knuckle. I've tried a rubber mallet, a little prying.. these things won't budge. Any suggestions? I even called Vatozone to see if they have a loaner tool.... I need to get this thing off

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have beat some out with a hammer, which can have a bad result with ruining the threads on the ball joints. I now use a big pry-bar to get them out. If that doesn't work you could just take the A-Arm assembly completely off from the frame and keep the knuckle in there... just 3 bolts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called around and found an Autozone that has a ball joint separator tool in stock. I'm gonna go snag that real quick, it's a rental (free). I just have a tendency to get aggressive and break ****....:34: So I'm trying to take it easy on this knuckle.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
112 Posts
When we put on Texas4play's lift we used a bottle jack and placed it inside the a-arms and jacked until one popped and then put the nut on that one and jacked again untill the other one popped. This was not the best way or the safest way but it worked. Joint separator would definately the way too go. Or you can take the a-arms off with the knuckle. BTW good luck with those darn axle nuts. They are usally a little tight.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front diff bearings.... awesome.... Buddy of mine told me to fish out the bearings and put them back in with some thick grease. He said he did that on his when they did this and it lasted a long time. Hope it works for me.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
looks like you are missing some rollers there..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found em all, put 'em back into place with some grease... Now onto my other issue.. Does Kawie sell just the little bolt/boots that are packed with grease that the upper and lower a-arms bolt up to on the knuckle? My lower one has a small hole in it and has water/grease coming out .. Please tell me I don't need a completely new knuckle!!

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
that's the balljoint. you can buy oem or aftermarket. good thing you caught that.
there's several aftermarket options.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks man, I'm about to head out of town for vacation I didn't want to have that on my mind when I leave. Any idea where I can look for it or who sells it? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MIMB ownz. Thanks so much man! I'll get 'em ordered and they should be in by the time I get home on the 7th.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you think the aftermarket is any better than stock? I've never heard of anyone (other than me;)) having issues with the balljoints.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Unknown really. They are all about the same price each. That 65 at epi is for upper and lower together

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where are you seeing stock cv joints sold? I called two kawie dealers. They both said they don't sell just the joint, you have to buy the whole knuckle.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
actually they are incorrect. when you buy a knuckle it comes bare with no ball joints. Several people have had to irder a new knuckle from the factory and they stated they were bare. nothing but a knuckle.

i got this off babbittsonline - any site with microfische will show it.

part # 59266-0013
JOINT-BALL $30.17 ea (4 required = upper and lower for left and right side )

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with EPI because I was already ordering a yellow secondary for my wife's KQ.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
good deal.
Do a how-to for us :)
"Brute Force 750 - Ball Joint Installation"

also KingQuad 750 - Secondary Spring Installation (we're in dire need of how-to's for other models)

purty please!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will do man. The ball joint is pretty simple but I'll git r dun. I'm going to be on a cruise for the next 8 days but I'll do it when I get back. Regarding the KQ there's a guy on HL "#4" he has some KQ videos it'll be hard for me to compete with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts