Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm looking for everyones opinion. There seems to be so many options on the clutch springs and weights it seems like a mountain of information and I'm easily confused. LOL Here's my setup:

04 700 Prairie
Ignition module, I can't remember exactly what it's called or the manufacturer, It's the one that tricks the ignition module into thinking it's running at a higher rpm so it will change the timing.
29.5 laws
clutch setup is exactly like it came from the factory.

I've never had any trouble with torque even in the thick mud. I can spin the tires all I want even in the thickest of mud. I don't care about top end. I very seldom get over 30 anyway.

I've read alot about others changing out springs and weights to get more low end grunt, I think Masher said something about from 0 - 30 hold on but you aint getting any faster. That's what I'm looking for. Keep in mind my money is extremely tight right now not to mention I'm cheap.

Spring suggestions?

·
Lets Get It
338 Posts
I would say just put a red secondary in it and go with it! Its what most peole are going to say!
Later on you can try some different primary springs to set it up a lil better(maybe), i.e. shftout, shiftout rpm, stall, so on...But youll probaly like just the red secondary

As far as speed my bike will do 48 with pink primary/ red sec combo and 50 bright green pri/ red sec combo by the speedo, so thats still fairly fast to me

Im running pink primary, red secondary now, works fine But was running bright green pri/red secondary for a good while with no problems

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
he's right. the RED is THE MOST POPULAR spring (along with stock primary) for 29.5's.
Can your bike easily pop up wheelies today with your current setup?

I'm running the Yellow (the stiffest EPI sping) and I'm not winning no races (except those where i line up with Polaris425 ) <-- :rockn:

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
put at least a lime green in there or go to the red secondary.its only 20 bucks for a spring,video in how to section covers it on a brute.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
i may have one this week,i am gonna put in a green and see if there is a diference .

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have gone through a belt or two. I'll wait a day or two before I order one. Someone here may have one they want to get rid of.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So what spring combo would I need to get some good torque and good top end, I am looking for something thats about even but I want more speed.....I got 28" Mudlites???

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
IBBruin, keep in mind you'll need a spring compressor and a primary tool. Spring compressor can be made easily for about ten bucks, primary tool you'll have to buy(40ish includin' shipping) or borrow

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I'm gonna post this here to just in case someone doesn't see it in the other thread if y'all want to delete it fine.

One thing I would like to mention is that when you put bigger tires on you are throwing off the speedometer so for example if you are running 29.5s and your speedometer says 55 them you are really going 62-65 mph. So you run a lime green spring with 29.5s and you top out at 55 you still have a top end of 62-65 so you are not losing that much. Me personally I will agree with some others on here if you are running bigger than 28s on your bike and you are running 55-60mph you are asking for an accident because big tires will wreak havoc on front end parts. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Gotcha, I plan on watching the vid before I start and I've got a service manual.
IBBruin the secondary spring is easy to change. But if you think you might need a hand just holler. I'd be glad to help out. I also have the primary tool and spring compressor.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Changed the secondary today, it was easy. I made a tool designed from here and it worked great. If I can do it anyone can. I have a brand new Lime Green one in the package I will sell for $20 shipped to your door if interested let me know. Also a gold primary as well. CHanged my mind and stuck with the red for my rideing style.

THANKS PHREEBSD FOR THE VIDEOS AND CONFIDENCE!!!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the offer Metal Man, I may take you up on it.

So the general consensus is I need just a red secondary?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
IMO it would not hurt to add a little stronger primary spring too. The stock Prairie primary springs are weaker then the stock BF 650/750I primary springs. A lot of folks think the only thing the primary spring controls is stall and thats not true. Its just as crucial to your clutch setup as the secondary. A EPI pink or maroon primary spring would be a nice addition as well without adding any stall. You might even find someone willing to give or sell a stock 650/750I primary spring cheap.

I cant honesty comment on the EPI red secondary since I've never tried it but that seams to be the spring most with 29.5's run.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
I was told to try the pink by some skinny guy. I might take him up on it.
He said the pink and yellow combo works very well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts