Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a temp gauge on my brute but dont want to go with the HL one - anybody got any good install instructions and parts list? Looking for a gauge thats waterproof and lights up.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
There is a write up on mudinmyblood.com under the how to section. None of the gauges are gonna state they are waterproof but mine has held up well and it is just a cheapo from O'Rielly auto parts. The way I looked at it is if I break a cheap one it wont hurt my feelings as bad as if I spent $50 on a good autometer and it broke.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
The only thing I did differently than the write up is I put my gauge on the right side (if your sitting on the bike) hose going into the radiator that is the side where the coolant is coming out of the engine before it goes into the radiator so I believe it gives you a more accurate temp reading.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
I'm looking at the Autometer C2 series. It lights up in blue.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also - whats the difference between a mechanical one and an electrical one?

phreebsd - i like that one too. Blue backlight is awesome and what I"m looking for. Would there be any difference hooking that one up compared to the instructions under the "How To" section?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Electric gauges are easier to install. Running standard automotive wire is a breeze compared to the complicated task of using steel-braided hose or fluid lines. The drawback is that the gauges are only as reliable as your electrical system. If you are experiencing the effects of a bad battery or alternator, your gauge performance will suffer as well.

Mechanical gauges, on the other hand, work independently of the electrical system altogether, and some consider them more reliable for this reason. As mentioned before, mechanical gauges are more difficult to install.

It will hook up the same way. I'm going to get my display changed to blue also so they both match.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
how much did it mention? I've heard $56 or $65.
I can't remember which.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
I thought it was 2 1/16th

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i think that's the best fit for that location.
I can't remember if 2 5/8 fits... I"ll have to measure again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used a 2" hole saw for my autometer gauge, the gauge was $46 at autozone looks just like the HL gauge but $50 cheaper. You will have to find a way to hook the sending unit of the gauge for it to work. I used a 1/2" copper T, like the kind found in house plumbing. In the t-part I sauldered a bushing, then screwed the sending unit into it. Then all you have to do is cut and splice the T in the rad hose.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i think i want that $70 kit. Its not lit, but i never go night riding anyway!

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
that's why i liked the kit also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts