Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
welp, i could have gotten off my brute today and put a bullet in it. im so ticked off right now its not funny.

right after i bought it, it was in the mid 40 and i went for a ride, 30 mins in, my FI light flashes, then the temp light. so i stop, do the right thing, wait for the fan to cool it off and continue on. it does it a few more times.

So, i bring it home, scrub the radiator (which was clean as a whistle to begin w/) and add some water wetter. I took it out twice when it was in the 20's and my temp light didnt flashed. I was riding on/off throttle a lot pulling kids around on sleds. nothing over 12mph.

Today, I go for a ride, its 50+ degrees out. about 45 mins in after digging through some decent snow it, FI light flashes, then the temp light starts flashing. So I stop as always, let fan run, etc. Today, I was letting her eat. But, I wasnt riding any harder than I have ever ridden a bike. Even after just slow crawling in the woods it flashed.

I just got done flushing the fluid and adding engine ice. I dont know what else to do. I dont want to ruin this bike, its out of warranty and it has 155 miles on it.

Am I just getting water (wet slushy snow today) and its causing an electrical glitch? I felt the radiator/motor/hoses when the light was on and i didnt think it was that hot.

I dont want to pay shop fees for this, but Im @ my wits end. I know what they will do, let it sit and run and the light wont flash. (it can sit and idle for an hour and the light will never come on!)

I ride a lot @ slow speeds, so i need to find out what the deal is, if its a bus connector or whats going on. I dont want to relocate my radiator, and id rather not put a temp gauge on.

HELP!!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
mine did the same thing, I took every connection apart I could find and put dielectric on them and havent had anymore problems

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
my friend's grizz had a similar problem. ended up replacing a faulty temperature sensor, thermostat, whatever, to fix it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if it was the thermostat or sensor, i would think it would do it all the time.

the past 2 times i rode, it never flashed, thats why im thinking its electrical. maybe snow/water hitting a connection and making it do it.

i'll get some grease and start going after the connections next i guess. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i feel like it's an electrical problem, hopefully with that sensor. electrical problems are often erratic and unpredictable. it could be somethin as simple as a loose connection, or moisture/dirt in said connection. good luckin figurin' it out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i didint try this today, but when this 1st happened, i got up to speed and the light quit flashing. yet another reason why i thought it might actually be getting hot. but w/ that much snow against the motor, i just dont see how its possible.

im guessing w/ the digging in the snow, constantly packing it behind the front tires its messing w/ something.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
mine has overheated once in this florida heat and that was cause i was riding around 15-20mph in low range for a long time

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heres something else i thought of last night.

so the light flashes when im riding, i stop, turn it off and let the fan run till the light stops flashing... which it does after about 5 mins of the fan running.

if it was an electrical problem, wouldnt the light keep flashing.??? it will only go off once the fan cools the bike down...?

i tried turning the key on and off while it was flashing, wont work. this is why im becoming more convinced its a cooling problem.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Are you absolutely sure there is NO air in the system?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont believe its air locked.

I drained the radiator yesterday and the lower hose. Refilled and let run, while keeping an eye on the radiator. shut it off, let it cool, checked the radiator, topped it off and let it run again. stayed full.

Ive yet to go out and ride it since I put the engine ice in yesterday. It ran in my garage for an hour and the light never came on. But, this is the same situation i went through a few weeks back. Light flashed, brought it home, put in water wetter, let run in garage, was fine. Took it out to ride, never flashed.... then this happens yesterday...

Ive flushed my radiator in my motorcycle i dont know how many times to do trackdays, always works fine. runs no hotter than 220 in 100 degree heat in traffic.

I dont know when i will get a chance to get back out for a ride, unless i can leave work today. but the temp has also dropped to the mid 30's now, i guess if i go out, i better just let her eat and see what happens!

KMKjr: they resolved that issue on teh 08's. there is no buss connector there anymore on the 750's from what i have read!

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
That's not a problem anymore on Brutes from 2007 forward.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Cool!!

Guess I'll have tell the wife I'm getting an 0-098 now...lol

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Do it to it brotha!
The throttle response on the 08 is crisp.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just called a local mechanic who used to work @ a kawi shop.

he said its definitely a cooling issue, @ low speeds and under load turning through snow it will do it every time he said.

best advice, get a HL radiator, period.

looks like ive got to dish out $400 on a radiator now, annoying. :banghead: so, if ya got one or know where i can get one someone doesnt need, let me know.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
that radiator is dang nice!
it's the one thing I want that I can't see myself shelling out that amount of cash.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the mechanic said not to waste my time on an oil cooler.

but, its a lot cheaper and i would think it would do the job. but, id hate to get it, then have the same issue, then have to spend the $440 on a radiator to....

opinions?

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Its cheaper and easier to move your stock radiator up to the rack.

·
SHUT UP & RIDE
261 Posts
Is moving the stock rad to the top rack really going to help that much? Mine runs really hot. I got a temp gauge on mine and the light comes on at 235*F and I have a manual fan switch which I leave on when I'm not in water.
Didn't mean too highjack your thread. Just wondering about relocateing rad. 06 750i

1 - 20 of 47 Posts