Mud in My Blood Forum banner

Timing advance module for efi - info by Engie@HL

26K views 79 replies 36 participants last post by  Codeman350ss 
#1 ·
got it from another forum, thought it might help out.

Ever since the introduction of the very first Vtwin Kawi, the 650 prairie, every model that's been released has had a low-speed timing retard. This is done by Kawasaki to protect their liability. Basically, the KILL the launch of their quads below 10 mph. The good news is that EVERY MODEL that they've ever released use a very simple method to do this. They "read" the speed sensor. The speed sensor works as an electromagnet. A "high point" passes near the sensor on the gear that it is facing. This produces a electric pulse. The faster the bike goes, the more often the pulse is read by the ECU. Once the ECU interprets that the pulses are going above 10mph, it "fixes" the timing, and the bike runs much much harder and more optimally. This is essentially a "sin" wave.

Enter the first generation of "holeshot module". Somewhere along the line, someone figured out that IF you "trick" the CDI/ECU into thinking it's above 10 mph, it will give full power(and timing) to the bike at all times. The next step was designing a product that would do this. Basically, what a holeshot module does, is send a 10+ mph signal to the CDI/ECU at all times. It takes 12v and modifies it into a "wave", which is essentially the function of a power inverter, only much simpler in this case. Basically, it completely replaces the signal of the speed sensor with it's own signal to accomplish the purpose of removing our timing retard and thus our LAG.

Ok, now the part that everyone is wanting to know. HOW do we make this work on our EFI bike? Well, it's simple really. Long story short, an EFI bike uses the same CDI ignition as other bikes, just by encorporating it into an ECU. It's inputs and outputs are all the same. So, you do this THE SAME way you did before! It's done using the same modules! It's even the same color wire! The only thing that is any different is the location that the wire enters the ECU. Where is this wire? Well, it's the FRONTMOST pink wire on the ECU. You have to cut this wire, and buttsplice in the holeshot module to the ECU. You leave the end coming from the sensor open. From there, you can wire the + and - to any place on the harness that is appropriate to get power when the bike is on, but not when it's off. Generally, it's easiest to go to the ignition circuit. Regardless, here are a few pics. The first is of the speed sensor itself(notice the pink wire). The second shows a rather pitiful version of where the pink wire is located, and how we tied into it.

What can you expect to gain from this? Abrupt/insane power out of the hole. This mod can be done all by itself, and requires NO other changes to work and provide a VERY LARGE power improvement at holeshot. After 10mph, it will not effect the quad in any way. However, if larger injectors are added along with a PC3 and a tunejob, it'll be easily FASTER than your buddy's equally modded carbed brute, in EVERY part of the powerband, with even better throttle response than he has. All things equal, these 3 mods will make the bike EVERY BIT as fast as an equally modified Outlander 800 in 300'.

See less See more
#4 ·
thats exactly what its for but its that some people want to act like we steal all of these ideas to pass them off as MIMB ideas. That is the long story short.

just want to make sure credit is given

#5 ·
some people want to act like we steal all of these ideas to pass them off as MIMB ideas. That is the long story short.
exactly.
some people have a problem with us grouping information together here so it is easily searched and indexed..
though i dont see why. All sources are cited if known.

#8 ·
yeah bro we got some haters hatin on us. :(

#10 ·
i want to try it on my 08. I've heard the 09's are confirmed to be detuned out of the hole but not that 08's. Logic suggests that should be true of the 08 year model also.

#11 ·
ok just read kawieriders. Works on 08 too! :)
they sell them for 60 shipped over there.

#12 ·
I was under the impression that our EFI brutes were not detuned. If in fact they are ...WOW look out. This baby already has a ton of low end power as it is :bigeyes:

#14 ·
THIS MODULE MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE

I put one on that has a switch... so you can put it back to stock if you want.

It pulls absolutely insanely hard out of the hole now. I have an 08 750 that has a snorkel, full wileyco exhaust, 29.5 swamplites, & a red secondary spring.... TALK ABOUT GRUNT!!!! with the switch off if i am just sitting on the wheeler normal and punch it it will not pull the front tires until it hits around 10mph then they just float.... but with the module turned on if i am sitting on it normal and punch it i think i'd hit the back rack if i didnt back out a little bit :) hope this helps you

#15 ·
nice!! did u get the one from kawieriders?

#16 ·
yeah were can we get that one...

#21 ·
here's the vid before

here's the vid with it installed (after)

#22 ·
I just don't understand it. Mine already pulls insane wheelies out of the hole. I'm not saying that there is no room for improvement but mine does not act like its got any kind of retard on it. ...i don't know maybe it does????

Heres a super short vid my wife took the day i brought the brute home. Its completely stock of course and at that point i had never ridden a brute before so my wheeling ability was rusty to say the least. But you get the point

Do the 08 EFI's really have the retard????? Ha anyone tried this mod on an 08 and noticed an improvement?

#23 ·
Supposedly they do Metal Man, but mine sure didn't act like the one in the video when it was stock. It would do like yours every time I took off hard. I'm wanting one, but I want to wait till more people get them.

#26 ·
im not far from orderin one myself. i dont want my bike to be a retard its whole life

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.