Mud in My Blood Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts
thanks for that write up.
I would have expected the wires on the unit to be red, black and pink. red to a switched power, black a ground and pink to the pink on ECU connector.

Nice work Metal Man!

I installed my HL ICM too and have to agree that it lacks the wow factor. At first I honestly didn't think that it was working.
How can you test the unit to see if it's working right (besides just going for a ride?)

does that unit have a light on it?
units like the dg5 and dg6 have a light that tells you its working or there is a problem.

I found this in a very old post from kawieriders. It explains how the modules work. It was written by a guy that worked on making the original DG modules.

The DG Holeshot. The theory of operation of this device is quite simple. It replaces the signal usually produced by the Prairie 650's speed sensor and sent to the Igniter for decoding. This signal is also decoded by the LCD speedometer and the controller responsible for the Engine Brake System and 2wd/4wd servo control.

The Igniter has only two possible timing advance curves to choose from. I will refer to one as the "Reverse Map" and the other as the "Standard Map". The reverse map is limited 10 degrees of total advance from 2500RPM and up. The standard map ramps up starting at 5 degrees at 1500RPM, up to a max of 28 degrees at 4000RPM. It holds 28 degrees until it reaches 6500RPM where it drops off rapidly in two ramps to only 20 degrees of advance at 8000RPM. The rev limiter is pre-set at 3600RPM in reverse without override and 8500+/-100RPM for all other cases with a 50RPM min hysterics.

The Igniter decodes the speed sensor input and for anything under about 50Hz, which is around 3MPH, the Igniter runs on the reverse timing map. Once this frequency is exceeded it begins to move the timing to the value defined in the standard map. It only allows an advance of about 5 degrees per second. This means that in a race against a non-Holeshot equipped Prairie, the Holeshot Prairie is on the standard timing map at all times, while the standard Prairie is not. Once the standard Prairie reaches about 3MPH, its Igniter will begin to advance to the standard map timing values. It takes about 2-3 seconds for it to reach and run on the standard timing map. During this time the Holeshot Prairie is still running more advance and pulling ahead. This is why the difference is not felt if you roll past 3MPH slow enough for the Igniter to get to the standard map. Once both Prairies are on the standard map, the timing for both is the same. There is no "hardware" switch on the DG Holeshot. Under hard acceleration, about 3 seconds after passing 3MPH, the timing will be the same as the non-Holeshot Prairie, and will continue to stay on that timing map. Slowing down to 10MPH or even 5MPH does not result in a "switching out" or lessening of power, it just means that a stock Prairie will also have the standard timing map power because it is above 3MPH. Claims that a speed sensor-based module can vary the amount of timing from the standard timing map are false. The Igniter makes a simple determination and switches over - period! Some people are under the impression that the timing advance value is in some proportionality to the frequency of the speed sensor's input to the Igniter. That is why some have come up with designs utilizing multiple frequencies. No frequency change above 50Hz will have any effect on timing. I have run this on the test system to verify this many times. There is also no relationship to the amount of timing advance and the rev limiter. Timing advance is a mathematic function of RPM only, while the speed determines map selection. The rev limit is set on the standard map at 8500RPM and completely cuts off the spark at that RPM. It does this exactly the same way at 3600RPM in reverse without override. There is no effect of low or high range on these limits as there is no sensor on the Prairie and no such input to the Igniter.

The bottom line to all of these Holeshot devices is that if they are functioning properly, they will all boost power to the same level and follow the same above described conditions. Switching back to the speed sensors output or to another frequency has no effect since they are both over the 50Hz threshold. I designed the DG Holeshot to use the simplest circuit possible for reliability, the smallest package feasible for non-automated assembly, and chose the best connectors and hardware to include in the kit. The electronics is encapsulated in a special epoxy that is thermally conductive, and I use high quality timing components in the circuit for output stability over a wide range of temperatures. I wanted to make it plug and play, but the connectors are quite expensive and not available in smaller quantities. Don wanted to keep the unit price under $100.

I just checked my module and didn't find a light on it anywhere. Where's the light on yours?

Is this it?

Mine looks a little different.

Yeah thats it. It has a green led light.Heres a little clearer pic.

sweet. i have been reading electronics articles for weeks. Developing a device to generate a 50Hz signal is a piece of cake. I have been trying to figure out a way to get the signal off the speed sensor. i figured i could do it with an oscilloscope and induction lead.
But he stated the frequency so I think I may give this a go now :D
all the parts can be had from radio shack for under 20 bucks!

Hmm, wonder why mine doesn't have the light??? :thinking:

I have the Moose module and it just plugs in factory harness (will get pics up) but i did notice a big difference in holeshot power, My Prairie is only about a bike length behind my buddys 08 750I brute :rockn: He has a mudslinger exhaust on his too!! The module also has a light on top of the box for indication

OK i did a little more testing the module yesterday evening. First off i unhooked the ground that i ran to the battery and run it to the ground wire thats hooked to the speed sensor. It felt to different then it did when it was hooked to the battery.So hooking it to the battery is fine to do. Next i made a long jumper and ran it from the ground on the battery and left it hanging out from under my seat. I ran the ground from the ICM ( module) out from under my seat .That way i could hook and unhook the ground at will. I would do a run with it unhooked then do a run with it hooked up. After about 15 minutes of this and countless wheelies later i come to two conclusions. Number one is that the module does work. While its not a drastic change it is a change. This becomes more evident when you can unhook it and hook it back up in just a few seconders VS trying to remember what it felt like before you installed it. Conclusion number two is ....i might never get the grass to grow in the side of the yard again. I tore the **** out of it playing * cough* cough* I mean testing this thing out. I'm still working on a good lie to tell the wife about what happened out there :saevilw:

tell her a meteor hit there..

sweet. i have been reading electronics articles for weeks. Developing a device to generate a 50Hz signal is a piece of cake. I have been trying to figure out a way to get the signal off the speed sensor. i figured i could do it with an oscilloscope and induction lead.
But he stated the frequency so I think I may give this a go now :D
all the parts can be had from radio shack for under 20 bucks!
Have you started working on making this yet. If so did it work.

It has to be a module with wires that need to be soldered in place. The modules with plugs will not work.

man i was hoping the plug and play one would work. so where is the cheapest place to buy one of these now?

I'm really interested in doing this.....any new updates? Where do I find this module and Whats the cost? I have read about gettting them at HL is that correct?

I have read all of these posts and I am confused. Is this just an 08 thing or is it 08 and 09. I had the moose holeshot on my 650 SRA and it made a good bit of difference, not drastic but worth 50 bucks. I'd love to have a bit more pull on the low side. Somebody let me know if this can be done on 09 as well. And what is the preffered module, HL or DG5

As far as i know it can be done on any model Kawie V Twin.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.