Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else having ITP tires coming unseated? In my group we have had mud lites and XTR's come off 8 times in the last year. Yesterday it caused me to roll over and bugger my back. I will be replacing them with something else.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ouch, no fun. I used to have some Mudlites but never has that happen...

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
What pressure are you running ? that is a bad situation ! hate to hear about you injury :eek:hope it heals up nicely

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
did you clean the inside of the rim bead real good before putting them back on?

·
Banned
384 Posts
I've heard of some of the 14'' xtr's coming off the wheel, but, not the lites. matter of fact it happened to my neighbor. I'll ask him what he did to stop it.

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was running 5 psi. The rims were always cleaned before being reseated but this was the first time this tire came off, i thought upgrading to 14" rims would eliminate the problem. I was driving down a small drop and turned at the bottom, the same as the 8 quads before me just had, and when the tire peeled off the rim it dug in and flipped me.

I always liked bearclaws and vampires but am not sure what I will switch to. Bearclaws don't have deep enough treads on the front tires and the 2" lug vampires are only 8.5" wide in the 28" size. I want more flotation than that. Any suggestions?

·
SAY I WON'T!!!
997 Posts
Might wanna try 8-9 psi...That's my guess.

I had a 31" Law come off the rim (front) with only 5 psi. Bumped up to 8 psi and never had anymore problems...I now run 8 psi in the 32's also.

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More pressure is not the best option for the terrain we ride. Lots of muskeg requires low pressure. I am leaning towards keeping the tires I have and upgrading to a beadlock rim. I have only had the outer bead unseat so I don't think I would need a dual beadlock. What do you guys think?

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I finally reseated the bead on the failed tire it only took 13 psi to bead so I unseated another and it took 14 psi. No wonder they won't stay on. The Bear Claws I just put on my wife's bike took around 25-28 psi. I had a guy offer me a good price for my rims and tires so I let them go. I have 28" mud bugs and ITP 212's on order. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I've heard of some of the 14'' xtr's coming off the wheel, but, not the lites. matter of fact it happened to my neighbor. I'll ask him what he did to stop it.

Yes....Stogi is correct...I have seen the XTR's do it....oh atleast 20 times on different guys bikes.:aargh4:

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I installed the Mud Bugs they all took between 26 and 29 psi to seat the bead. This was using bead sealant so it was lubed. XTR's were 13 psi. I wonder why ITP hasn't heard about these problems or is the average casual rider having no issues? I have talked to several people in the last while that admitted they have had XTR's and Mudlites come off the bead. Oh well, my problem is solved. Sorry to:beat: but it is frustrating to drop near $500 for tires from one of the top names in the industry and have these issues.

ITP :rocketwhore:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey where are you buying your tires from? Looking for a cheap place to buy them.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
112 Posts
Heck when they mounted my 30" mudlites it took almost 65 psi to get them to seat on my 212s. I was hiding behind my brute while that was going on.:eek:

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scavenger boy - I get most of my stuff from Gateway Honda in Edson. If you are out this way stop by the parts counter and talk to Shawn. They move a huge amount of stock and have great prices.

Debo Brute - Never heard of an atv tire taking that many psi to mount. Were they using lube? It's polite to at least spit on it first.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
112 Posts
I don't think they used any lubricant. I don't think he knew what he was doing. He don't work there no more

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Just to jump in here.

I've been changing tires on cars, atv, wheel barrows, etc... for 20 years now and never seen a tire come off a rim for no reason.

1. Way too low pressure can cause it (too high can too, but you couldn't drive it if it was that hard).

2. Bent wheel or rim can cause it

3. Damaged bead on tire can cause it

4. Severe sudden inpact can cause it

That's all I can think of.

If the tire is brand new, installed properly (bead not damaged when installing), inflated properly and still comes off. You don't have a tire issue. Check elsewhere.

And yes, it can take alot of pressure to seat a bead on a ATV tire, but don't ever go over the max inflation rating, unless you want to loose an eye or limb.

·
Lord and Master
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am leaning toward a weak/flimsy bead or something of the sort. There are way too many times this has happened to be an isolated problem. Most people in this area ride with 2-5 psi in the tires for muskeg flotation and only the Mudlites and XTR's seem to have the problems. I ride with a guy who runs his rear tires (mudzillas) at 1-2 psi and his fronts with 3 psi and has had no issues in 600 km on his bike. He is just shy of 300# and rides his bike hard.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
this has never happened to anyone I ride with IF they were running factory rims. 3times I've seen the taller mudlites (27 up) peel off aftermarket rims. A bad situation for sure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts