Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the first of the year, I'm getting a whole bunch of stuff for the brute. Among them, 31 laws.
For trail riding, I'd like to get something nice instead of the stockers that roll over the sides easily.
I'm thinking ITP Mudlite XTR's in stock 25" size.
They will be ridden on hard pack, sand, and mainly woodsy terrain.
I think the XTR's would be a great tire. Don't think they cost all that much either..
Mainly looking for CHEAP, long lasting tire with good performance.
Anyone have any opinions of this tire or any other for this purpose?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Theres a ton of great trail tires to be had. I've never owned the XTR's but I'm sure they would do great for what you talking about. I currently do own a set of regular mudlites and there a great trail tire. But durability is a little lacking.

mst's,swampwitch's,zillas,xrt's,589's,swamplites,mudlites, are all good ''do anything" tires. I really like the old super swampers too but there only 4 ply and puncher easily.

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts
Get Zilla's or MST's

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I would get Zilla's

·
Wilson Creek Riders
152 Posts
Ya.. If your wanting a trail tire and still have some good mud capabilities it would be the Zilla's for me or MST's....
Now a hard pack, trail, rock tire is the Big Horn...... No other tire I have seen will out last them or is as strong as them.. They have actually done VERY well in every terrain I have put them in including mud.. They do well in like "Trail Mud" but are not a mudder tire or a mud tire by ANY means.. They grip and grab great.. The "clean out" just isnt great for mudding....
They are radial and 6 ply or 8, I cannot remember which ply... But they are some of the toughest tires I have seen, had OR read about...

·
Wilson Creek Riders
152 Posts

·
Wilson Creek Riders
152 Posts
Here are the Grim Reapers from GBC... Kinda like the same tread pattern as the terra's or horns, but alot more open.. Looks like they would clean out well.....

·
Banned
384 Posts
I'm running Mudlites now and are happy with them. XTR's are a good choice. It's hard to go wrong with any tire design now days .

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts
These are a fairly new tire, look kinda like the horns... Seem to be a little more aggressive though...

Though right now they are only in the 14" i think... For NOW.. lol

Those look like BigHorns on steroids!!! :33:

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i like the look of those grim reapers. Looks like they would provide a smooth ride with ample traction.

·
Wilson Creek Riders
152 Posts
Yep, they do look good..... I've benn kinda waiting around to see some reviews on 'em, but haven't seen any yet... I may look into them when I ever need a new set!! lol Both the ones I got seem to keep lasting and lasting!!!

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I agree those Grim Reapers look cool for an all around riding tire. And i bet there super tough since there 8 ply radials.

Looking at the article you have linked, they state the tread depth is 2/32 deeper on the 14" rim size vs the 12'' rim size.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Hey phreebsd what you gonna do with the 27 laws when you get the bigger tires?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm giving them to my stepdad. he can't wait either!
He currently rides on 27" executioners and the laws are a much better mud tire.
Time and time again I ease thru where he gets stuck.

He deserves em. He's a great guy and has given me WAY TOO MUCH already so this is my chance to give something back to him that I know he'll love.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Thats a cool thing to do.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, im as excited to give them to his as he is getting them.
Can't wait to see whut his bike gonna do on them laws.

·
Banned
32 Posts
my dad has the xtrs and so does my buddy and they both love them, i have the mudliight xxl and love them. good in mud but perfect for trail ridding cause thats what we do up here. most people have either the mudlights of some sorta or the maxxis bighorns

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Get Zilla's or MST's
exactly....I have had BAD luck with all ITP in the rocks...especially Mudlites...we call them Pluglites on the mountain. lol!!! THe side walls are too thin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered a set of 26" bighorns on ss106 rims for the trail. I know a guy that has 4000 miles on his and still has 1/2 the rubber . Sold Me !!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts