Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed brand new, pre-oiled Twin Air. Not happy with how it fits the oem lid on the top. Huge gap between the filter and the cage lid. Not sure if the pics do the huge gaps justice. Don't think I'll run this.

Thoughts? Other twin air or uni owners...does the filter fit snug to the cage lid? Or gap like this one?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
My twin air fit just fine. I don't know why yours doesn't. I would definitely not run it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
run some grease around the lip. the gap does seem a bit large. mine has a small gap but that's what filter grease is for.. sealing the contact points of filter to plastic

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
run some grease around the lip. the gap does seem a bit large. mine has a small gap but that's what filter grease is for.. sealing the contact points of filter to plastic
Agree on the grease, but this is excessive.

The brand new oem filter I took out to install the twin air fit like a glove. No gaps even before I started the lid screw. The o.d. of the twin air is noticeably smaller than the oem.

Just curious if this is a twin air thing, an aftermarket filter thing, or possbily I got the wrong part number thing.

Either way I don't see this getting any use. Hope I can get my money back or I just wasted $30.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I would think it is the wrong size. I run a UNI filter and it fits perfect. I have friends that run the Twin Air and theirs does not look like that. But Phreebsd is right you can put some grease around the outside edge and it will be alright.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
make sure you got the right one.
05 to 07 is different that 08+

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine fit a little tight when new but after a few ..dozen.. times of wringing foam filter oil through it, it stretched enough that I have to use a flat tool to stuff it under the lips top and bottom. Seals fine though.
Are you saying it fit like mine (o.d. not large enough) or it fit snugly (properly)?

Either way I called and emailed central cycle power sports where I bought the filter and they are sending me a uni at no charge. Awesome customer service.

·
7,388 Posts
Are you saying it fit like mine (o.d. not large enough) or it fit snugly (properly)?

Either way I called and emailed central cycle power sports where I bought the filter and they are sending me a uni at no charge. Awesome customer service.
It fit snug but sealed fine..ie there was enough height to seal it between the two surfaces. Cool about the Uni.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've run a Uni and a Twinair. They both protruded above the cage slightly when installed. You must have gotten one made on Friday. ALWAYS grease the edges of a foam filter to insure a perfect seal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've run a Uni and a Twinair. They both protruded above the cage slightly when installed. You must have gotten one made on Friday. ALWAYS grease the edges of a foam filter to insure a perfect seal.
Look at the pics again. It's an od gap problem, not a height gap problem. The filter is not as thick as the oem. The inner layer looks to be a good 1/8 - 1/4 thinner than the inner layer of the oem, as a result it does not seat against the inside lip of the cage lid. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Look at the pics again. It's an od gap problem, not a height gap problem. The filter is not as thick as the oem. The inner layer looks to be a good 1/8 - 1/4 thinner than the inner layer of the oem, as a result it does not seat against the inside lip of the cage lid. Hope that makes sense.
So you're saying the problem isn't that it doesn't seat against the bottom of the cage or the top "lid" but, that it's not as wide? That won't hurt a thing. They stretch some after you clean them a couple of times. Grease that pig up and go to town.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'll vouch for that...lol. So, what grease do you use on yours Stogi? I've been using some old K&N seal grease but its about gone now and will need some new.
I use what ever grease I have in my grease gun..lol. Heck Vaseline will work if your in a pinch.

·
7,388 Posts
I use what ever grease I have in my grease gun..lol. Heck Vaseline will work if your in a pinch.
Oh...OK, I always though using patrolium based greases would have a bad effect on things like foam rubber and stuff over time...guess not. Thanks. That K&N seal grease was stiff and hard to work with. Got lots of marine-based grease around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts