Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a used brute and have gone through it and fixed what was needed to be reliable. Now I have a bit of fun money for it and can't decide between an MSD box or set of elka stage 1 or 3 shocks. I already have snorkels, rad relocated, swamp series pipe, and 28 inch laws. It is mostly used for trail riding with deep holes about 30% of the time.

My pipe gets a little toasty but not bad when on long rides between stops.

Either upgrade is in my budget. Just looking for opinions. This is my first step into big bikes.

Thanks for all input.

·
Administrator
15,500 Posts
First thing I would do then would be get rid of those crappy 28" OG Laws... & Get something more suited to your style...

Elka's are EXPENSIVE. And unless you are a serious trail rider, I don't see spending that money being worth it. Especially if you just cruise around the trails... Now if you are getting after it, lots of technical stuff, higher speed trails, then yeah maybe so....

NMK has them on his brute, but he's out west and constantly doing a lot of higher speed technical trails.

If that's the case, if it were me, I'd spend the $$ on the Elka's, and sell the laws and get something else... Maybe some Radials of some sort. There are a lot of tires that will perform excellent on the trail, and still get you through the occasional muddy situation, but there are 100's of threads for that already floating around. Just pick a few & start reading. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. These "OG LAWS" still have about half the tread left so they will be replaced when they are gone. Had the MST's and did most of what I wanted them to and wore like iron. Just not overly worried about tires since I have been down that rabbit hole before.

Just having a hard time deciding if I want to do the programmer for a bigger smile or jump in and get the elka's.

Being you have Tuscaloosa listed on your profile you probably know the type of terrain I ride since its mostly around Fayette or Cullman.

·
Administrator
15,500 Posts
Yeah I gotcha. Hard to say. If it were me I'd probably start w/ the MSD.

Posted via TapaTalk for iPhone6

·
Registered
28 Posts
has anything been done to the clutch? if its stock you will have more gains from clutch work then a msd box and it will be better for the quad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing done to the clutch so far. Going to get the MSD box and springs at the same time from vforcejohn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts