Mud in My Blood Forum banner

VDI install---Ignition module

10K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  jbb 
#1 ·
This install is very easy. I rate it a 1 on a scale 1/10.

Tools required
One large phillips head screw driver---for the battery
One small phillips head screw driver---for the vdi install
Your choice or pop rivets or zipties to hold it in place

First step disconnect the negative on the battery

Next step is to locate the Stock ECU and unplug the 2 wiring harnesses holding it in place(indciated in the picture). Just push down with your fingers and it should loose up, if not use some wd-40.

Next step is to install the Vdi wiring harness to the Vdi ignition module, first you will need to remove 2 small phillips head screws before connecting the harness, make sure to use die elecric greese here. Just align the harness and snug the screws.

Next step is to install the Vdi harness to the plugs. Use die electric greese here as well. You will here them snap into place.

The next step is to install the Vdi control unit, I placed mind in the center and used zip ties to secure it for now. I will be using pop rivots later on. I also put some foam weather stripping under the Vdi unit to keep it from vibrated or rubbing against the frame. Install the seat, the seat will fit, it might not look like it will but it does. Just push down hard.

The last step is to hook the negative battery cable back up and fire it up. I usually cut mind off before switching maps with the toggle switch. Enjoy!!!!! You should def tell a difference. Sorry for the crappy pics all I have is a camera phone.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is my first right up. Any questions just ask. Also mis spelled a few words such as grease lol.

#4 ·
I highly recommend it. It made a night and day difference on my brute. But this is the only one I have installed, not sure if the others make this much of a difference or not. In my opinon I belive the Vdi is better because you can customize the igntion and fuel mapping to your needs, such as when going from stock to a bore and cams. You can tweak it with a laptop from their website or do your on. I really like the reverse delete and the ability to switch maps with a switch. I rate it as a must have. Some say their brutes run cooler but I haven't had it on long enough to tell. I will keep everyone updated as I run the brute longer and see if this is true.

#16 ·
I highly recommend it. It made a night and day difference on my brute. But this is the only one I have installed, not sure if the others make this much of a difference or not. In my opinon I belive the Vdi is better because you can customize the igntion and fuel mapping to your needs, such as when going from stock to a bore and cams. You can tweak it with a laptop from their website or do your on. I really like the reverse delete and the ability to switch maps with a switch. I rate it as a must have. Some say their brutes run cooler but I haven't had it on long enough to tell. I will keep everyone updated as I run the brute longer and see if this is true.
I've had mine since March of this year and, so far, no issues. I can mash the accellerator at 10MPH and she'll lift these heavy Zillas for as far as I feel like going. Try that with a stock computer! So far, in the mud I've been in some very bad sheet and I don't have a winch...I also haven't had to be pulled out. VDI does make power!

#6 ·
thanks for taking the time to contribute :)

#7 ·
Thanks. I will do a muzzy thread probally sunday after work this weekend. I like this site much better than highlifter :) And you are correct with lyle programming it...I double checked by calling. Great company to deal with.

#8 ·
Yes the VDI will absolutely make your brute run cooler. I have a temp gauge and it made a huge difference to mine. It runs 30 to 40 degrees cooler easily.Maybe more.

#10 ·
I got mine from here http://www.velocitydevices.com/ i think mine ran around 500. thats with everything. Great people to deal with, they will help you every step of the way.

#11 ·
I would like to hear more about the vdi you guys are running any info would be great

#12 ·
I have one. I've had it since the were first released for the FI Brutes. So far i have loved it but i will say its still got a few small bugs being worked out. Lyle at VDI is constantly working to make sure every thing is perfect with the unit. At first i had some stalling and hard cranking issues but those have been addressed and are no longer a problem.Lyle has come a long way at getting it right from the first release. IMO its really close now with the latest update.

I'd hate to know i had to go back to running with out it.

#13 ·
Its great. I had idleing, stalling issues but with the update, it runs much better. It made a night and day difference in mind. Lyle worked hard with this unit and has nearly perfected it. I rate vdi as a must have. Also runs a lot cooler now.

#14 ·
Nice write up! Hey Stump161, we should ride some time, I'm only about 45 min from you ( Savannah ).

Brenton

#15 ·
Is it worth the money?? I've been reading all over the site and it seems like none of these really work. In anybody's opinion which will work best for a 2009 750.

#18 ·
Can you swap back to factory ecu and not be detected from the dealer. I have a VDI to install but was hoping not to void warranty if something goes wrong.

#20 ·
i have had the vdi on my 2009 750 for about 400 miles, just had the miner problems with the hard starting, but lyle took care of that and it has worked great ever since. the amount of bottom end power u get from these is amazing! also had one on the wifes and it worked great on hers as well. since she sold it and bought an 850xp, i have an extra one here with the memory interface if someone is looking for one, pm me!

#21 ·
thanks. i just picked one up cheap and am in the process of getting it mapped for my brute. just didnt want it to be a waste of cash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.