Mud in My Blood Forum banner
21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
i do not believe the 4x4 actuator resets itself upon key off.
I believe the bike need be running for the 4x4 actuator.

I have yet to actually hear the KEBC do anything with the bike off.
I can not hear or feel any operation from it.

·
Team BS
757 Posts
well dang. i guess i need to get it spun back in the right place and try it again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Phreebsd,I am new here but I have been a lurker for a while.I have been dealing with these stupid actuators for a while.I have had actuators still act up even after cleaning the motor.You can actually take the potentiometers apart also and clean them.It is tedious work but worth it because we all know how much the actuators cost.I have tried to buy just the potentiometers seperately but Kawasaki owns the patent and rights to them and "Cosmos Tokyo" will not sell it because they are in contract with Kawi.Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
wow they arent a regular potentiometer?
i figured if one was brave you could run down to radioshack and find a close match.

btw, welcome to the site. Nice to have another member who has dug all inside theirs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
wow they arent a regular potentiometer?
i figured if one was brave you could run down to radioshack and find a close match.

btw, welcome to the site. Nice to have another member who has dug all inside theirs.
Well actually it is not a potentiometer at all,It is a normally closed 2 way switch.It basically tells the controller when the actuator is engaged and when it is at rest.I found this out when I would turn my bike off,the actuator would go nuts like it didnt know where it was.So I said the **** with it and took the "potentiometer" apart,cleaned and adjusted the terminals.I put it back together and it works like new.And oh yea,Good luck finding one at radio shack...lol.I talked to Bob today at Cosmos america and he said they are a custom made part for Kawi.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Brute Force 750 - KEBC Actuator Clean and Lube on Vimeo

Some notes on the video:
When you get the unit back together and you find that the pin on the shaft is in the wrong orientation to fit in the kebc fork, plug up the unit and key on. wait 10 seconds then key off. The unit will reset itself and then you will be able to bolt it onto the KEBC cover.

When testing the motor I stated hook it up to a battery charger and you could see if it worked. If it doesn't turn it might still be bound up. You will know this is you feel the motor in your handle sorta vibrate or try to move. You can feel it. If not, the KEBC is dead.
make sure you have a battery charger that does 10+ volts.

You also need to check the resistance below from the connector. Just get out your multimeter.

Actuator Internal Resistance

4 (Red) - 6 (Black): 3
15 Ω
1 (Orange) - 3 (Blue): 3.5 6.5 kΩ
2 (Yellow) - 3 (Blue): 630 5,330 Ω
If any reading is not within spec, replace the actuator.

Where did the video go?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
they are back now.
Dang post cache!
:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Awesome guys, this is exactly what I was looking for to fix my machine. This website is great. And by the way, the videos are perfect! Keep up the good work guys!

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
thanks for the comments :)
Welcome aboard, mate.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Added this in the notes section on the first post

[9/17/2009]
I just found this info on Nyroc!
If perhaps the potentiometer is the culprit, although rare, it can be replaced for cheap. Read the passage below.

"Cruiser found a compnay call Tocos that makes the potentiometer inside the KEBC and 4x4 actuators. You can get the potentiometer from them for much cheaper than you can get the entire actuator from the dealer. The P/N is RVQ24YNC0301. The full P/N is rvq24ync030120f-b502.
Polstery said: "I went to my local radio shack and got a 5 ohm 1/2 watt potentiometer and with a little skill and file put it in the actuator. By the way it cost $2.90 and it worked good as new only problem was it only worked for about 6 hours but I knew I was on the right track. I went on the internet and did some fact finding. The stock tacos potentiometer is rated for 2,000,000 cycles or revolutions and the radio shack was only rated for 15,000 BIG difference!!! I did more searching and found a potentiometer that would suit are needs and it has a 20,000,000 mil cycle life best of all its only $11.90. To get it installed all that was needed was to cut the shaft down (it is just a bit too long) and file a flat on the shaft for the actuator gear then solder the 3 wires on. I found the potentiometers at www.mouser.com and the part# is 652-6639s-1-502 If you need any help just ask. Mines been working like new for about 35 hours now and counting."
[/9/17/2009]

Also added the attachment that covers the complete troubleshooting of the actuator system. 10 pages!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I was wanting to do this today.
Is this video on utube also. I gave my computer to my mom & the only thing I have @ home is a BB. Vimeo said I need flash 10. Don't think I can do it on the BB

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
its not on youtube :(

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Oh well. I took the one off the front diff today and it still looked brand new. Good thing I did b/c my fluid was a dark gray. That was the 1st time its been changed bike has 1300 miles on it. Noticed on the last ride the 4wd didn't wanna work while I was in water but it would work if it was dry. Dielectric grease time for the front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI, just checked out the video and took mine apart to clean and check it out. Only problem is the c-clip sprung off and I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know what size these are so I can try to get one? Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
glad to hear you got it worked out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info/writeup/videos phreebsd! My 4wd wouldn't engage AND my engine brake wouldn't work on our ride this weekend. Worked fine when I parked it about 2 months ago. After reading post after post about these actuators and switches and flashing 2wd/4wd lights, I decided I needed to follow your instructions to fix my problem. When I pulled the seat off I saw the fuse block with 2 fuses (and a spare) - 1 of them said EBC (or something to that effect), so I pulled it just to make sure. Sure enough, it was good - so I put it back in. Turned the key on - the lights weren't flashing back and forth and I heard the EBC cycle! Surely this wasn't the problem - so I went for a short ride and the 4wd worked also! Problem solved without picking up a screwdriver! I bookmarked this post, as I see myself needing the info at a later time!

Thanks for the info - Matt

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
very glad you got that worked out :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
anyone had the black wrap/insulation on their 4wd actuator crack up and flake off??? if you happen to rotate the 4wd act. while out of the diff do you have to place it back in the same position or will it reset when its plugged back up??? i wanna take mine apart to clean it but i dont wanna throw it outta sync. my 4wd acts kinda screwy sometimes so i thought to clean the actuator

21 - 40 of 121 Posts