Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've done some searching. After one ride in crosby my front diff is completely milked... So, is it a seal that causes this or what? Does it come in around the axle shafts? When I'm having to change the fluid after every ride something ain't right!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Is your vent tube run up? As far as I know, there are only 4 ways to get water in the front diff.
1 vent tube
2 left axle seal
3 right axle seal
4 input shaft seal

It's gotta be coming on through one or more of them. I'd think if the seal would let in water it should also be leaking oil.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'm a complete retard, I've never heard of or seen a vent tube on the front diff.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
check your fill cap. it's got an o ring in the cap. make sure it's still in there. mine always fall out on the floor and i normally forget to put them back in until im done and i push the bike out the way and it's layin there

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I stand corrected, make that 5 places water can enter. i didn't think about the o-ring around the fill plug. Good catch BigP

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
they are run to the diff. I will show u were they run to right here...
left is fan vent, next one is GAS TANK VENT, and the two on the right are front diff and left diff

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Is there any chance you see a little metal tube sticking out of your front diff that looks like a vent tube should slip on it?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i think the water gets in around the axles.. i mean they pull right out. i think water gets in same place you stick the shaft into
just seeps on in.
oil doesnt come out there because the level inside is no where near that high.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just noticed the vent on the front of the diff going to the pod. It appears to be ok. The o-ring for the filler is still intact, looks rough but it's still there. Everyone I ride with that has a brute has to change the diff fluid after each ride we do in crosby.. It's a lot of water riding. Guess it must be coming in around the axles.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I was busting beaver dams Sunday and a stick no bigger around than your little finger released the latch on the key switch harness plug and my machine died like..... you unplugged the key switch. I always try to look at the vent tubes to make sure they are in place after riding like that. Hopefully it's something that simple and not the seals.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Yeah LOL If you have changed your diff fluid more than engine oil you might be.....I am glad i got a prairie:haha:

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Prairies leak as well. My cousin had to replace the front diff on his Prairie 400 because it had water in it and he did not know.It froze and cracked the housing. I kinda found it hard to believe that could happed but seen it with my own eyes. I figured since there was no way it was full of water the ice would have room to explained and not bust anything but it did.:thinking:

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
He had a lot of water in it to freeze and bust:eek:I change the front diff every oil change and have only found water once thought it might have been when i dropped the pod under water on accident might be seals though it seems to me the diff lock lever would be a weak spot in the sealing ??

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same problem, changed fluids after every ride, but eventually had to replace everything in it.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i replace my front fluid every 2nd or 3rd ride.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
Texan Aviator I don't think there is much you can do except keep changing it, we've seen the same thing. Crappy seals=Seal and Oil sales at the dealer parts depts.:shrug:

Keep in mind too that the San Jac. river is real brackish especially after a while without rain and if the water is getting in it is bringing in salt and river sand with it, Don't leave it in there for long.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Funny thing is the seal appears to be fine. Nothing is leaking anywhere but after a few hours of deep water riding it fills up with water. The rear diff never gets anything in it. I wonder if there's a leak in my vent somewhere... I'll just keep changing it every ride. I normally change it the next day after I wash it, it's not a huge deal only takes a few minutes and I can do it while it's on the trailer in the garage.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts