Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the yellow secondary and not like it? I changed from a red primary and almond secondary to a maroon primary and yellow secondary for a ride this weekend. I was not having any belt issues before and I didn't break or slip a belt this weekend but it never felt right. I could smell it like it was gettting too hot all the time and never felt like it was pulling as good. I was able to back out of some peanut butter but I got off the bike and walked it kind of easy, so I like that it held there but I think my old set up would have held too. I just ordered a lime green secondary to try, I'm just thinking the yellow was too stiff.

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts
I dont think the LG will be enough for 30" Backs... I could be wrong. If it were me I'd stick w/ red.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So you're saying it did what you wanted it to, but you think your red could have too?

After riding this past weekend I feel like my Red does a fine job for the 31s but in deep soupy thick stuff I could def see how a yellow would be optimal. I may swap mine to a yellow and try it but most everyone I've read about loved their yellow. Kills top end but how often do you need to go over 30mph on 30+" tires anyway?

Steve how do you like your yellow in the thick stuff?

·
Team BS
757 Posts
So you're saying it did what you wanted it to, but you think your red could have too?

quote]

no he had a almond secondary in before and a red primary. he feels that set up would done the same.

he bought the bike used and we assumed it had a red secondary in it, although it only had 30 ML on it before. he really hasnt had any problems outta that setup that wasnt his own fault.

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My red was a primary. Thats really the confusing part. Everyone is saying stiffer is better on the secondary but I was running an almond on the secondary before and liked it better.

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel the yellow secondary is causing too much heat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh ok I misread sorry. Yeah that's a huge jump from an almond to a yellow. I'd stick with a yellow or red for your size tires personally. Might just be luck you haven't fried a belt, or you need to find some thicker mud.;) Ooorrrr you really know how to drive that kawie.

Really though if the old setup was working then you may have been onto something.. Hows the stall on that red primary?

·
Team BS
757 Posts
yeah he is just scared to put it in the think stuff ;) jk.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
My yellow is working so far but i can smell the belt too unless im really on the throttle.
You gotta give it some gas to get it to grip well.

·
Team BS
757 Posts
yeah i smell mine too. i htought it might of been from the dust when i shreaded my other belt. i dont seem to remember it being like that before hand, but then again ive drank a few since then lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mine smelled hot last ride with the red, however we were going though knee deep thick gumbo mud in crosby. That might have been why.. I've been told you're suppose to "blip" the throttle in mud on the brute to get the tires rolling, then you can back off some.. It's that initial engagement of the clutch that you burn them up. If yalls is getting that hot I may just stick with my red. We trail ride too.

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah he is just scared to put it in the think stuff ;) jk.
For some reason Bumps Brute always mysteriosly has a problem when I bring mine out. Maybe he's just scared to get a full comparison of the 30's vs. 31's.:rockn:

Texan, I'm starting to think your right. Its just in how I ride and feel to me. Not saying that I ride better than anyone but spring tension may have as much to do with how you ride as it does with what you ride in. I guarantee it hasn't been lack of the thick stuff.

·
Team BS
757 Posts
For some reason Bumps Brute always mysteriosly has a problem when I bring mine out. Maybe he's just scared to get a full comparison of the 30's vs. 31's.:rockn:
yeah yeah. i made half the ride this time lmfao

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
How long have you had the bike?

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
about a year now I got it a couple weeks before mud nats last year

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've smoke 2 belts on it but they were understandable b/c the bike was in a bind in some peanut butter and its been a long time since I have. One if not both were when I had 30" mud lites on it. This bike has never had anything less than a 30" tire on it.

·
Banned
384 Posts
The stiffer the secondary the more heat it is going to generate due to the increase in friction. But , increased friction = increased grip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts